This is the final instalment of my Anti Valentine’s series – a cupcake recipe! I had a lot of fun decorating these so read on for details.
- 125g (4oz) softened butter
- 125g (4oz) caster sugar
- 125g (4oz) self-raising flour
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Cupcake cases x12
- Cupcake baking tray
(I used all these too)
- Black food colouring
- Alphabet edible decorations
- Raspberry sprinkles
- Cocoa powder (replace one tablespoon of flour with one of cocoa for chocolate flavour)
- 250g icing sugar
- 125g softened butter
Makes 12 yummy cupcakes
Bake at 190°C or Gas Mark 5 for 15 minutes
- Beat butter until soft and creamy
- Add flour and sugar and mix into the butter
- Crack in the eggs and beat into mixture
- Add the food colouring, you may need quite a lot but remember to save some for the icing!
- Spoon the mix evenly into your cupcake cases
- Pop into the oven for around 15 minutes (oven dependent)
Whilst the cakes are baking you can whip up some butter icing, just mix together the butter and icing sugar, gradually adding the sugar a bit at a time, and add some food colouring if desired.
Once the cakes are cooked and cooled down a bit you can get onto the fun part of decorating them! I used a fork for the butter icing to create a rough texture for and added Anti Valentines effect, then I sprinkled freeze dried raspberry sprinkles on top and dug out the letters I wanted to spell out phrases.
I got my food colouring, sprinkles and letters at my local Asda store.
What do you think of my cakes? I think this could be a really cute activity to do with your friends or loved one as an alternative Valentine’s date.
If you have any great cupcake recipes please share them for me to try out and I’d love to see if you recreate the ones I’ve made!